The 6 Features to Look For in a Home Security CameraWhen you're looking for the best security camera, you should consider the features you need for your home. Do you want a high-quality picture? Would you prefer a battery-operated camera or one with a power source? Do you need a camera monitoring service? Are you interested in installing your camera, or would you prefer a professional installation?
Answering these questions will narrow down your options and help you find the perfect cameras for your home.
Here's a quick list of features we recommend you consider when purchasing a home security camera:
- Resolution quality
- Power source
- Monitored vs unmonitored
- DIY installation
- Wired vs wireless
1. Resolution qualityFind the resolution that suits you. Cameras differ in their daytime and nighttime capabilities, so it's crucial to decide how important a high-quality picture is to you. A camera with a higher resolution produces larger pictures with better quality.
Higher-resolution cameras also require more storage and take up more bandwidth on your network. Most cameras offer 720p HD resolution or 1080p HD resolution. 1080p will provide customers with a higher-quality photo and the ability to see smaller details.
2. Power sourceFigure out where you want your security cameras and what power source best suits your needs. It can confuse some people that not all wireless cameras are completely wire-free.
Wireless refers to how they transmit their signal, not necessarily the absence of all wires. Some wireless cameras need a plug for their power source and some run on batteries. ADT offers both options.
If you're limited on power sources, or you're looking for something simpler, there are completely wire-free cameras that use batteries. Blue by ADT is a DIY line of cameras that comes with rechargeable battery packs for your indoor, outdoor, and doorbell cameras. All you have to do is find a place to install them and connect them to the internet. Most battery-powered cameras can alert you via the mobile app when they're getting low. Then, you can change the batteries or recharge the battery pack.
Battery-operated cameras are the simplest option when choosing a security camera, but you have to be diligent about changing the batteries so that you don't interrupt your camera feed.
3. WeatherproofAny outdoor camera probably needs to have some aspect of weather resistance. ADT offers weatherproof options that ensure you never have to worry about your security system. From extreme high and low temperatures to all other weather conditions, ADT has your system protected.
4. Monitored or unmonitoredDecide if you want your cameras to be monitored or unmonitored. There are a few key differences in having a monitored or unmonitored security system. Monitored security systems usually require a contract that includes 24/7 monitoring and coverage of your property. Monitored systems provide more convenience because they monitor your home and can alert the authorities for you when necessary.
If you choose to have your cameras monitored through ADT, you're choosing the most experienced operators in the industry. ADT has three times as many monitoring centers as our nearest competitor.
Unmonitored cameras are cheaper than monitored cameras because you just pay the upfront cost. However, unmonitored systems lack some convenience because they rely on you to call the authorities in an emergency, instead of ADT. Unmonitored systems will send you a notification when motion is detected by the camera but will not call 911 if there is a break-in.
5. DIY installationYou should decide if you'd like to install your own cameras or place the installation in the hands of a professional. ADT professional installation technicians can install indoor, outdoor, and doorbell cameras. They can also install your command center to ensure everything is working properly. DIY cameras, like Blue by ADT, are available. ADT can also help you choose the location of your camera and connect it to your internet.
6. Wired or wirelessDetermine whether you're choosing a wireless or wire-free camera. If you're picking a wire-free camera that's battery-operated, installation is significantly easier. If you're choosing a wireless camera with an AC power source, you'll have to find a place to plug in your camera. Professionals can help you decide the best place for your camera and run a power source to the camera's ideal location if there isn't one close by.
The Best Ways to Use Your Home Security CameraThere are a plethora of options for security cameras on the market. How do you decide? Do you need an indoor camera or an outdoor camera? A doorbell camera? All three? Do you want a command center to remotely control your cameras and locks? Do you want professional installation, or do you want to install them yourself?
Everyone's home is different. Knowing how you plan on using your camera helps you choose the best home security camera for your needs.
- Track what happens in your home: Indoor cameras give you the ability to keep an eye on high-traffic areas in your home. They can detect any motion in your home and send you notifications when a door opens or somebody enters a room. Indoor cameras sometimes offer infrared technology for nighttime vision, so you know what's going on, even at night. If a crime occurs in your home, you can ensure you can review exactly what happened.
- Prevent crime outside your home: Security systems help deter criminals from breaking into your home. Outdoor cameras are great for those who want to keep an eye on their property.
If you're considering an outdoor camera, you're going to want to make sure it can withstand the weather conditions outside and you can always see what's happening around your property. Wireless cameras offered by ADT are snow, rain, and humidity-resistant.
- Maintain flexibility when moving your system: Regardless of your home size, or if it's a rental, you may need the flexibility to move your system. Wireless security cameras are easily installed or removed and offer more versatility than traditional, wired cameras. Battery-operated wireless cameras are simple because they can be placed anywhere around your property, as long as they stay within Wi-Fi range.
- Staying connected: You can use your phone to check the live feed of your outdoor wireless cameras and receive notifications when they detect motion around your property. With infrared vision, you can even see quality HD video at night.
- Keep an eye on the family: Wireless indoor cameras connect to your Wi-Fi and send information to your security hub as long as they stay within the range of the router. You can also choose to view a live feed or saved video from your camera by using a mobile app. If you have children or pets, keeping an eye on them via indoor cameras is easier than ever.
- Watch your main entrances: Doorbell cameras are connected to your front door and allow you to see who's approaching your home. Whether you're home or away, you can be notified of motion detected on your front porch. Doorbell cameras also have two-way audio capabilities so you can talk to people who ring your doorbell. These cameras are useful for anybody with an outside-facing entrance. Doorbell cameras make it easy for you to monitor who is at your door or keep track of packages left on your porch.
- Integrate with your other smart home devices: A command center allows you to remotely control everything in your house. With the ease of an ADT Command smart home, you can connect all of your cameras, locks, lights, thermostats, and more to a touch screen platform that gives you the option to control everything remotely via the mobile app. Smart home command centers connect to Amazon's Alexa or other voice control platforms so you can operate your devices with your voice. A smart home command center is not required to have the best home security camera, but it does provide an all-in-one platform to control every aspect of your home.
Where Are You Going to Put Your Security Cameras?Depending on the camera you choose, you'll need to find a place in your home with access to a power outlet. Although wireless cameras connect to your Wi-Fi network, many still require a power source, making placement harder. When it comes to deciding the best home security camera, knowing where you need them matters.
Similarly, knowing your camera's viewing angle can help understand the best place to install it. ADT outdoor cameras have a 95-degree viewing angle of your property. The best place to put them would be somewhere outside that gives you the most visibility within that 95-degree range. Specifically, these are great for:
- Front yards
ADT indoor cameras have a viewing angle of 128.6 degrees, giving you more visibility around your house. Hard-to-reach corners of rooms you want to monitor are the best place for these cameras. Consider installing indoor cameras in the following:
- Children's playrooms
- Places with valuables
- Pet spaces
Most doorbell cameras have a 180-degree viewing range so you can see everything that's happening in front of your door. In the past, this angle has led to a distortion of the image, but ADT uses dewarping technology to make sure your image is crisp and clear.
Finding the Right Security Camera For YouADT offers a range of products so that you can find the perfect security camera for your home. Our products include the following:
- Outdoor security cameras from ADT offer 1080p HD quality images and infrared night vision. They have a 95-degree viewing angle and provide light for up to 6 meters. Our outdoor cameras are weather-resistant and can operate in temperatures as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit because of their built-in heaters.
Installation is simple with our outdoor cameras. With an average tenure of nine years among our installers and technicians, our team can advise you on proper camera placement. Our mobile app allows you to alternate between live feed and saved video. Every time our cameras detect movement on your property, you'll get a notification to ensure you're always aware of your surroundings.
- Indoor security cameras from ADT also offer 1080p HD quality images and infrared night vision. They have a 126.8-degree viewing angle to see more of your home. You have the option to shift between your indoor cameras on your phone to see what's happening when you're not home. Each indoor camera is equipped with motion sensors and will send you video whenever it detects movement. Whether you're watching over your children or pets, ADT indoor security cameras have you covered.
- Video doorbell cameras from ADT offer 720p HD quality video and infrared night vision to see in the dark. They have a 180-degree viewing angle to see what is happening at your entrances, with dewarping technology to protect the clarity of your feed. They are waterproof and can withstand temperatures from -4 degrees Fahrenheit to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. They also come equipped with two-way audio that allows you to speak to whoever is at your door. ADT doorbell cameras connect to your iPhone or Android for increased access via the mobile app.
- DIY cameras and packages from ADT give you the freedom of self-installation and can help lower the total cost of your system. With the Blue by ADT camera line, you can purchase battery-operated indoor, outdoor, and doorbell cameras to protect your home. Our most advanced cameras offer 1080p HD resolution, 130-degree viewing angles, two-way audio, facial recognition, infrared night vision, movement detection, rechargeable batteries, and are compatible with Amazon's Alexa. Blue by ADT can work independently or with a monitored ADT system.
- Does a security camera require a lot of maintenance? ADT has you covered. Security systems need regular maintenance to ensure batteries are changed and everything is connected appropriately. We are prepared to serve you quickly, with same-day or next-day service from our experts. ADT also offers extended warranties for all of your products.
- Is it easy to add additional cameras to my home security system? ADT makes adding more devices simple through our home automation system. If you do not have our home automation system, call ADT to talk to a representative about adding more cameras. If you purchased a camera from the Blue by ADT DIY line, simply purchase another camera separately and install it.
- Can I access my camera footage even when I'm not home? Using the ADT mobile app, you can quickly check any or all of your ADT home security cameras via your smartphone or tablet.
Trust Our ExperienceADT provides its customers with years of experience and a tight bond with the local community. We are dedicated to making sure you have the security systems that fit your budget and protect your family.
When it comes to home security, you can trust ADT to take care of your home, possessions, and loved ones—regardless of where you are.