The day has finally arrived for you to go on vacation. You've already booked a hotel, set up travel arrangements and hired a house sitter. But don't forget the most important step—securing your home.
The last thing you want to worry about while traveling is whether or not your home is properly protected. One of your biggest considerations should be the hiding location of your spare key. If it is hidden in an obvious location, you could be vulnerable to theft. Follow the tips below when choosing the best place to hide a spare key:
Best place to hide a Spare key
In addition to setting up an alarm system, evaluate the hiding place of your spare key. To avoid potential unwanted guests, you need to be a little crafty with your key's placement.1 Here are some good hiding spots:
- In a hollow, realistic-looking false rock that blends in with its surroundings
- In a small lockbox under the porch
- In the barbeque grill in the backyard
- Under the foot of a chair on the patio
- Under a loose brick in the walkway
- Inside or under a children's toy in the front yard
Worst place to hide a Spare key
Choosing the right hiding spot is essential in protecting your home. Burglars will check the obvious spots first, so avoid hiding your spare key in one of these common locations:
- Under your doormat
- Under a potted plant by the door
- Under a garden statue
- On the doorjamb
- In the mailbox
Eliminate the need for a Spare key
If you feel uneasy keeping a spare key, smart door locks are a better solution. Benefits include keyless entry, with text notifications each time the door is unlocked. With ADT connected home, you can unlock and lock your doors remotely with the Pulse app.
If you're concerned about giving your house sitter the code to your smart door locks, you can easily change the codes after you return home.
Put your mind at ease
If you're hiding a spare key, make sure it is in one of the well-hidden locations listed above. However, even the best hiding places aren't foolproof; take it a step further and install security cameras that allow you to monitor your property from your smartphone. ADT connected home sends you notifications when motion is detected in your home or on your property, providing you with confidence in your home's security.
1. Velez, Adriana. "Stash Your Spare Keys Safely With These 7 Ideas." Real Estate News and Advice | Realtor.com®. March 03, 2017. Accessed March 28, 2018. https://www.realtor.com/advice/home-improvement/places-to-hide-spare-keys/.