There are many things you need to remember when moving home. From securely packing all of your possessions and arranging a removal van to changing your utilities and letting your friends and family know, it can be easy to overlook some details when moving. One important task for anyone changing home is updating their address with a number of agencies and organizations. 

If you’re already asking yourself, “where do I need to change my address?”, this handy checklist will surely help you out.


Post Office


Changing your address at the Post Office allows for your mail to be redirected; anything sent to you at your old address should automatically be forwarded to your new address, making it less likely that you’ll miss any important postal communications.


How to Change Your Address at the Post Office

Changing your address with the Post Office is quick, easy and affordable. Visit the USPS website to complete details online for a change of address and pay the fee of $1.10 to confirm your identity and protect your post. You’ll receive a confirmation email immediately. To fully finalize the address change, however, you will need to return a verification letter, which will be sent to your current home. A Welcome Kit will then be sent to your new address.  

Alternatively, you can visit a local Post Office and complete PS Form 3575, contained within the Mover’s Pack. There’s no fee to change your address at the Post Office. Change of address is possible for any individual or all people at a particular address. You’ll receive a verification letter at your present property, which you’ll need to return to finalize the address change. Then, a confirmation letter will be sent to your new address within five working days.  

It’s advised that you change your address with the Post Office two weeks prior to moving. You can, however, complete the relevant application in advance and select a start date up to 90 days in the future.


How Long is Mail Forwarded?

For permanent changes of address, as with a house move, mail is rerouted for specific time periods based on the type of mail. Items sent as First-Class Mail, including packages, Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express are redirected for 12 months. Periodicals, such as magazines and newsletters, are forwarded for 60 days. Marketing communications from USPS are only forwarded upon request.  


How to Extend Mail Forwarding

While most people moving home don’t require extended mail forwarding, it is possible to purchase extensions of six, 12 and 18 months. It costs $19.95 for a further six months, $29.95 for 12 months and $39.95 for 18 months. The postal service will contact you after 11 months following your initial change of address offering you the opportunity to extend mail forwarding services. You can only extend up to a maximum of 18 months after the initial year, giving you a possible 30 months in total to have mail forwarded to your new address.

Important: Remember, changing your address with the Post Office only makes sure that letters sent to your old address are redirected to your new home. It doesn’t update official records with government agencies or other companies; you still need to contact other places to notify of a change of address.


Driver’s License and Vehicle Registration


When you change address, you have a legal obligation to notify DMV of your new address. Each state has different rules as to how soon this must be. For example, in New York, you must update your address within 10 days, whereas in Vermont changes must be made within 30 days. Check with your state DMV office beforehand to avoid any potential issues.

In most states, updates can be made online, in person or by post.

When you move, you should also update the details for your vehicle registration. In most states, this does not automatically follow changes to your driving license address.

Also related to motoring, if you have vehicle breakdown coverage, let your provider know that you’re moving.


Banks and Credit Companies


Make sure you always receive your sensitive financial information and that you don’t miss any promotions from your banks and credit card companies by keeping your records up to date. Not updating your address can potentially lead to your private information falling into the wrong hands. Even if you have paperless statements or billing, banks and credit card providers still need updated addresses in their systems.

While you can often visit the local branch of your bank to change your address, many banks enable address changes through their websites or apps. Similarly, many credit card companies also offer a range of online services that typically include changing your address.

You should also provide your new address to any loan providers, including student loans, and any credit accounts with retailers, such as store cards.



Insurance Companies


Make sure all policies remain valid by giving your new address to any insurance providers. This includes health, dental, car, life and home insurance.  


Internal Revenue Service


Visit the website of the Internal Revenue Service, or IRS, and download Form 8822 to change your address. Alternatively, you can write to the IRS, providing details of your full name, previous and new address, your signature and either your Social Security number, tax ID or employer ID. This ensures you receive any important tax-related communications and tax refunds and makes life easier when it comes to filing your tax returns.   

If you use the services of tax advisers or accountants, let them know your updated address too.


Online Retailers


If you have accounts with any online retailers, such as Amazon, or are signed up for subscription services, including subscription boxes and magazines, make sure you’ve updated your address before making your next order or expecting your new delivery. After all, it’s all too easy to click through an order without checking saved details such as the default delivery address.


Utility Suppliers


While not solely related to simply changing your address, be sure to give utility suppliers ample time to switch your utilities and set up services in your home. This includes electricity, gas and water companies, as well as garbage removal and sewerage companies. Don’t forget to notify phone, Internet and cable suppliers too.


Voter Registration


Each state has different requirements for updating your voter registration information, including changing your address. You should contact your local election office for more details. Make sure you complete any updates within relevant time periods too, to prevent the possibility of you being unable to vote in a future election.

Other places you should contact (if applicable) to notify that you’re changing address include:

  • Employer

  • Children’s schools

  • Parents’ care homes

  • Doctor

  • Dentist

  • Vet

  • Gym

  • Lawyer

  • Microchip registry for pets

  • Social Security (if you receive any benefits)

  • Family and friends


Move Your ADT Service


Don’t let your home security systems slide when you move. Moving your ADT service with you is simple, from getting new equipment installed to reactivating any existing security systems. Plus, there are great deals for people moving too. You may even wish to consider an upgrade to help protect your home, your possessions and your loved ones. Don’t leave your peace of mind behind; you can enjoy the same level of home security in your new home as you had in your previous place.

ADT can also help protect your new home if you’re a new customer. For example, if the previous occupier of your new home used ADT, you can easily arrange for reactivation, and possible upgrades, of any systems already in place in the property. Alternatively, set up a new system in your new home to start enjoying the many benefits offered by one of America’s most trusted names in home security.

Advantages of ADT systems include:

  • 24/7 monitoring centers

  • Possible discounts on home insurance

  • Theft protection guarantee

  • Smart integration

  • Convenient automated processes    

From detecting and deterring thieves and intruders to alerting first responders if smoke or toxic carbon monoxide gas is detected, there are many ways ADT helps to keep you and your home safe and sound. It doesn’t stop at your home security system, though; you can enjoy remote access to things like your lights, thermostat, locks, cameras and more, helping you to manage your home even when away.

Whether you’re an existing customer wanting to continue service in your new home or a new customer seeking a free quote, contact ADT to discuss the various options for your home security as soon as you know your moving date. Ideally, you should aim to talk with an advisor no less than a month before you move home to ensure all systems are up and running as soon as possible.

Let ADT help protect your home as you move into this next exciting stage of your life.  

Related Articles: