October 10, 2017
It's true that with advancements in health people are living longer than ever before. Many seniors today are living active, robust lives.
As we get older our bodies change. We move a little slower, don't see quite as well and our bodies begin to lose some of the core strength needed to maintain balance. Combined, these changes can lead to accidents such as falls, breaks and sprains. Safety for seniors is important and there are plenty of things you can do now so you can continue to live a healthy and active lifestyle for a very long time.
Create a Safe Home
So you can continue to enjoy the independence of living in your own home, start this by walking through your home looking for potential area that are or could become a safety hazard. Pay attention to things such as stairs, loose electrical cords, slippery areas (particularly the bathroom), and dimly lit areas. Although accidents are unintentional, there are still many things you can do to prevent them from occurring and promote seniors' safety.
Tips for Preventing Falls
- Install handrails that run the entire length of the stairs on both sides of the staircase.
- Add automated lighting to light up rooms as you enter.
- Install grab bars in the shower, tub and near the toilet.
- Keep the stairs and open areas clear.
- Use double sided tape to keep small rugs down.
- Don't leave anything wet on the floor.
- Fix any broken or chipped steps, tiles, or flooring.
Tips to Improve Safety for Seniors
- Lighting: It's easy to think you can feel you're way in the dark. Better, to light the way. Best, use automated lights. Some will turn on when you enter a room. Set them to go on when you're not home to make it look like your home is occupied.
- Monitoring devices: Alarms such as fire, temperature and carbon monoxide detectors, warn you at the first sign of danger. It is important to check them at least twice a year to make sure they are properly working
- Communication: Systems like ADT medical alert let you enjoy the benefits and freedom of independent living, with the knowledge that should there be an accident or emergency, help is just the push of a button away.
Stay active and live life on your terms. To ensure things remain that way, take necessary steps now to ensure you've minimize as many potential risks as possible. And know that ADT products and services are here to help.
ADT News and Tips
Find helpful information from ADT, the leader in home security.
Find helpful ideas to stay safe in and out of your home.
Health & Senior Safety
Find valuable advice for living safely and independently.