Ecommerce Self Setup - Terms of Service
1. A. PAYMENTS; TERM; CONSUMER REPORT. All charges are payable in advance. The initial term of this Contract is one (1) month. ADT's alarm monitoring and notification services will begin when the equipment is installed, operational and communicating with ADT's Customer Monitoring Center ("CMC"). This Contract will automatically renew for successive thirty (30)-day terms unless terminated by either party at least thirty (30) days before the end of the current term. If terminated, this Contract ends on the last day of the then-current term. I may terminate my service by calling ADT at 800.238.2727 (1-800-ADT- ASAP). I authorize ADT to obtain a non-investigative consumer report, commonly referred to as a credit check or credit report, about me from a consumer reporting agency at any time during the term. The amount due each month will be equal to the sum of your monthly service charge, which is a fixed, recurring amount, plus any additional charges, (as described below) incurred during the monthly billing cycle, if any, which would vary and are non-recurring. In order to authorize automatic charges to your credit card, debit card or bank account as your form of payment, you must log into our website, supply the required information, and electronically sign the authorization.
B. SECURITY DEPOSIT. ADT may require me to pay a refundable security deposit (i) before installation of the equipment and commencement of services or (ii) at any time to continue services if I fail to pay any amounts when they are due. If my ADT services are terminated or ADT is otherwise required by law to refund my security deposit, ADT shall within forty-five (45) days or as otherwise specified by applicable law return my security deposit (without interest) minus any amounts owed by me to ADT under this Contract (including without limitation, any Contract Termination Charges, false alarm fines or unpaid Service or Installation Charges). ADT may, in its discretion, return all or a portion of my security deposit to me prior to termination of my ADT service (without interest).
C.PHONE AND EMAIL USE AUTHORIZATION. If I have provided or do provide ADT with a phone number, including but not limited to a cell phone number, a number that I later convert to a cell phone number, or any number that I subsequently provide for billing and other non-solicitation purposes, I agree that ADT may contact me at this/these number(s). I also agree to receive calls and messages such as pre-recorded messages, calls and text messages from automated dialing systems at the number(s) provided. I confirm that I am the registered owner of all telephone number(s) that I have or will provide to ADT to contact me. If I have provided or do provide ADT with an email address, I agree that ADT may send me emails regarding my ADT Services or new ADT or third-party products and services. I may unsubscribe or opt out by emailing DNCcomplaint@adt.com or by calling (877) 377-7343.
2. EARLY TERMINATION OF THIS CONTRACT. I AGREE THAT THE CHARGES DUE UNDER THIS CONTRACT ARE BASED ON MY AGREEMENT TO RECEIVE AND PAY FOR THE SERVICES FOR MONTHS AND THAT ADT HAS RELIED UPON MY AGREEMENT AND HAS INCURRED COSTS IN DECIDING TO ENTER INTO THIS CONTRACT. IF I CANCEL SERVICE OR OTHERWISE TERMINATE THIS CONTRACT DURING ITS INITIAL TERM, OR IF ADT CANCELS THIS CONTRACT DURING ITS INITIAL TERM FOR A REASON SET FORTH IN PARAGRAPH 20(B) BELOW, I WILL PAY ADT 75% OF THE TOTAL REMAINING MONTHLY CHARGES AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO ME HAVING TO PAY THE FULL REMAINING CHARGES. THIS AMOUNT IS A CONTRACT TERMINATION CHARGE AND IS NOT A PENALTY. THE AMOUNT IS PAYABLE IMMEDIATELY IN FULL. NO CONTRACT TERMINATION CHARGES ARE DUE IF I TERMINATE, OR IF ADT CANCELS, DURING THE THIRTY (30)-DAY RENEWAL PERIOD(S).
3. INCREASES IN CHARGES. ADT has the right to increase the service charge at any time after the first year. If I object in writing to the increase within thirty (30) days of receiving notice of the increase, and if ADT does not waive the increase, then I may terminate this Contract effective thirty (30) days after ADT's receipt of my written notice of termination. In this situation, I will not have to pay the contract termination charges described in Paragraph 2 above.
4. ALARM PERMITS; ADDITIONAL CHARGES AND OFFSET RIGHTS. Certain government agencies require me to pay for and maintain alarm use permits to receive ADT services. I agree to pay all installation and alarm use permit fees; all directly or indirectly imposed false alarm fines, fees or charges; all telephone or signal transmission company charges; and all other assessments, fees and charges related to the alarm system. I agree to pay a service charge if an ADT representative responds to a service call or alarm at my premises because I improperly followed operating instructions; failed to properly lock or close a window, door or other protected point; or improperly adjusted CCTV cameras, monitors or accessories. If ADT owes me money when this Contract ends, ADT has the right to deduct from any refund owed me (A) service charges for thirty (30) days, if I fail to give the required written termination notice set forth in Paragraph 1 above; (B) any contract termination charges that I may owe as set forth in Paragraph 2 above; and (C) any other additional charges, amounts or deposits that I owe ADT. If the amount of the deduction equals or exceeds the amount that ADT owes me or if ADT owes me a credit of five dollars ($5.00) or less, ADT will not be obligated to refund any amounts to me.
5. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY.
A. INSURANCE; WAIVER OF SUBROGATION. I AGREE THAT ADT IS NOT AN INSURER AND THAT ADT IS NOT PROVIDING ME WITH INSURANCE OF ANY TYPE. THE AMOUNTS I PAY ADT ARE NOT INSURANCE PREMIUMS AND ARE NOT RELATED TO THE VALUE OF MY PROPERTY, ANYONE ELSE'S PROPERTY LOCATED IN MY PREMISES OR ANY RISK OF LOSS AT MY PREMISES. INSTEAD, THE AMOUNTS ADT CHARGES ME ARE BASED SOLELY UPON THE VALUE OF THE EQUIPMENT AND SERVICES ADT PROVIDES AND UPON THE LIMITED LIABILITY ADT ASSUMES UNDER THIS CONTRACT. IF I WANT INSURANCE TO PROTECT AGAINST ANY RISK OF LOSS AT MY PREMISES, I WILL PURCHASE IT. IN THE EVENT OF ANY LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY, I WILL LOOK EXCLUSIVELY TO MY INSURER AND NOT TO ADT TO COMPENSATE ME OR ANYONE ELSE. I RELEASE AND WAIVE FOR MYSELF AND MY INSURER ALL SUBROGATION AND OTHER RIGHTS TO RECOVER AGAINST ADT ARISING AS A RESULT OF THE PAYMENT OF ANY CLAIM FOR LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY.
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
C. EXCLUSIVE REMEDY. IT IS IMPRACTICAL AND EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO DETERMINE THE ACTUAL DAMAGES, IF ANY, THAT MAY RESULT FROM A FAILURE BY ADT TO PERFORM ANY OF ITS OBLIGATIONS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL I ATTEMPT TO HOLD ADT LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGES TO PROPERTY. IF, NOTWITHSTANDING THE PROVISIONS OF THIS PARAGRAPH 5, ADT IS FOUND LIABLE FOR LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THE SERVICES AND/OR EQUIPMENT PROVIDED BY ADT, ADT'S LIABILITY TO ME SHALL BE LIMITED TO A SUM EQUAL TO 10% OF THE ANNUAL SERVICE CHARGE OR $500, WHICHEVER IS GREATER. THIS AGREED- UPON AMOUNT IS NOT A PENALTY. RATHER, IT IS MY SOLE REMEDY. UPON MY REQUEST, ADT MAY AGREE TO ASSUME LIABILITY BEYOND WHAT IS PROVIDED FOR IN THIS PARAGRAPH 5 BY ATTACHING AN AMENDMENT TO THIS CONTRACT SETTING FORTH THE EXTENT OF ADT'S LIABILITY AND THE ADDITIONAL CHARGES TO ME.
D. APPLICATION. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS PARAGRAPH 5 APPLY NO MATTER HOW THE LOSS, DAMAGE, INJURY OR OTHER CONSEQUENCE OCCURS, EVEN IF DUE TO THE PERFORMANCE OR NONPERFORMANCE BY ADT OF ITS OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS CONTRACT OR FROM NEGLIGENCE (ACTIVE OR OTHERWISE), STRICT LIABILITY, VIOLATION OF ANY APPLICABLE CONSUMER PROTECTION LAW OR ANY OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY OR ALLEGED FAULT ON THE PART OF ADT, ITS AGENTS OR ITS EMPLOYEES.
E. INDEMNITY. IF ANY OTHER PERSON, INCLUDING MY SUBROGATING INSURER, MAKES ANY CLAIM OR FILES ANY LAWSUIT AGAINST ADT IN ANY WAY RELATED TO (1) THE EQUIPMENT OR SERVICES PROVIDED BY ADT TO ME OR (2) ANY INACCURACIES IN ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION, INCLUDING ANY CONTACT INFORMATION, PROVIDED BY ME TO ADT IN ORDER FOR ADT OR ITS REPRESENTATIVES TO COMMUNICATE WITH ME FOR ANY REASON, INCLUDING TELEPHONE CALLS, TEXT MESSAGES OR EMAILS REGARDING MY ADT SERVICES OR NEW ADT OR THIRD-PARTY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, THEN I AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD ADT HARMLESS FROM ANY AND ALL SUCH CLAIMS AND LAWSUITS, INCLUDING THE PAYMENT OF ALL DAMAGES, EXPENSES, COSTS AND ATTORNEYS' FEES. MY DUTY TO DEFEND IS SEPARATE AND DISTINCT FROM MY DUTY TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS AND ARISES UPON THE ASSERTION OF A CLAIM OR DEMAND AGAINST ADT AND REGARDLESS WHETHER ADT HAS BEEN FOUND LIABLE OR WHETHER ADT HAS INCURRED ANY EXPENSE.
F. TIME TO BRING CLAIM OR SUIT. NO SUIT OR ACTION SHALL BE BROUGHT AGAINST ADT AFTER THE SHORTER OF (1) ONE YEAR AFTER THE DATE OF LOSS OR (2) THE TIME ALLOWED BY LAW.
G. BENEFIT TO OTHERS. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS PARAGRAPH 5 SHALL APPLY TO AND BENEFIT ADT AND ITS AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, SUBSIDIARIES, DEALERS, AFFILIATES, PARENTS (BOTH DIRECT AND INDIRECT), AFFINITY MARKETERS AND OTHER PARTNERS.
6. OTHER PARTY'S LIMITATION. If I purchased equipment or services from ADT through another business or person, or from ADT through a referral from another business or person, I agree that such other business or person acts solely as an independent contractor and has no responsibility or liability to me for the performance or nonperformance of the equipment or services provided by ADT. I also agree that any such business or person is entitled to the same rights as ADT under this Contract, including Paragraph 5.
7. ARBITRATION. ADT AND I AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL DISPUTES BETWEEN US SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THIS BINDING ARBITRATION AGREEMENT. Arbitration is a dispute-resolution process that does not involve a judge or jury. Instead, Disputes are decided by a neutral third-party arbitrator in a process that is less formal than court. As used herein, the term "Dispute" means any claim or controversy, including, but not limited to, initial
claims, counterclaims, cross-claims and third-party claims, whether based in contract; tort; fraud; intentional acts; violation of any statute, code or regulation; or other legal theory. The term "Dispute" shall be given the broadest possible meaning and will apply to, without limitation, all claims and controversies arising from this Agreement; sales activities; goods and services; advertisements, promotions and other statements; billing and collection practices; privacy; and any other dispute arising from my interaction or relationship with ADT. ADT agrees not to elect arbitration if I file a Dispute in a small claims court in my state of residency so long as the Dispute is individual and non-representative in nature and remains exclusively as such in small claims court. Pre- Arbitration Notice Requirement. Before initiating an arbitration or a small claims matter, ADT and I agree to first provide to the other a written "Notice of Dispute" that will contain: (a) a written description of the issue and the supporting documents and information, and (b) a specific request for money or other relief. A Notice of Dispute to ADT should be sent to: Litigation Department, ADT Security Services, 1501 Yamato Dr., Boca Raton, FL 33431. ADT will mail a Notice of Dispute to my protected Premises address. ADT and I agree to make attempts to resolve the Dispute prior to commencing an arbitration or small claims action. If an agreement cannot be reached within forty-five (45) days of receipt of the Notice of Dispute, ADT or I may commence an arbitration proceeding or small claims action. Initiation of Arbitration Proceeding. If either party elects to arbitrate a Dispute, the Dispute shall be resolved by arbitration pursuant to this Arbitration Agreement and the then-current code of proceedings of the national arbitration organization to which the Dispute is referred. A party may refer a Dispute to either the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") or the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services ("JAMS"). If ADT elects arbitration and chooses one of the organizations to administer, I may object and automatically have the other organization administer the proceedings simply by notifying ADT of my objection in writing within 30 days of my receipt of ADT's initial selection. To obtain a copy of the procedures, or to file a Dispute, I may contact the organizations at the following: (1) AAA, 335 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10017, www.adr.org, and (2) JAMS, 1920 Main Street, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 92614, www.jamsadr.com. IF EITHER PARTY ELECTS TO ARBITRATE A DISPUTE, ADT AND I WAIVE THE RIGHT TO A JURY TRIAL AND TO OTHERWISE LITIGATE THE DISPUTE IN COURT. BY AGREEING TO ARBITRATE, THE PARTIES MAY ALSO WAIVE OTHER RIGHTS THAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE AVAILABLE IN COURT. FURTHER, IF EITHER PARTY ELECTS TO ARBITRATE A DISPUTE, I WAIVE MY RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY OR TO PARTICIPATE AS A MEMBER OF ANY CLASS ACTION
RELATING TO THE DISPUTE. This means that all Disputes selected for arbitration will be arbitrated on an individual basis, between ADT and me only, without exception. A Dispute cannot be joined or consolidated with any other claim or action. Arbitration Proceedings. Because my transaction(s) with ADT involves interstate commerce, this Arbitration Agreement and any Dispute arbitrated hereunder shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"). The JAMS or AAA code of procedures, as chosen, will govern the arbitration, but if there is a conflict between the applicable code of procedures and this Arbitration Agreement, this Arbitration Agreement shall control to the fullest extent permitted by the FAA. Unless otherwise agreed to by the parties, the arbitration will be conducted by a single, neutral arbitrator at a location within the federal judicial district in which I reside. Upon my request, ADT will reimburse me for all filing and administrative fees required for initiating the arbitration. Otherwise, each party is responsible for its own respective costs and fees, including, but not limited to, attorney and expert fees. The arbitrator shall apply applicable substantive law and, upon the request of either party, issue a written explanation of the basis for the decision. Judgment on the arbitration award may be entered in any court having proper jurisdiction. EXCEPT AS FOLLOWS, THE ARBITRATOR'S DECISION WILL BE FINAL AND BINDING. A party may appeal the arbitrator's initial award to a three-arbitrator panel administered by the same arbitration organization upon written notice within 30 days of the initial award. The arbitration organization will notify the other party of the appeal. The panel shall consider any aspect of the initial award objected to by the appealing party and issue a decision within 120 days of the date of the notice of appeal. The majority decision by the three-member panel shall be final and binding. Any dispute regarding the applicability, enforcement or interpretation of Paragraph 5 or this Paragraph 7, shall be resolved by a court having proper jurisdiction. This Arbitration Agreement will not prevent me from bringing a Dispute to the attention of any federal, state or local government agency. This Arbitration Agreement shall survive termination of this Agreement.
8. OWNERSHIP AND PAYMENT OBLIGATION. All equipment installed by ADT pursuant to this Contract shall be owned by the Customer except as otherwise agreed in writing. I agree to purchase the equipment and pay the installation costs described in Section 2. I UNDERSTAND THAT FINANCING MAY BE AVAILABLE AND AGREE THAT (A) I MAY NOT BE APPROVED FOR ANY FINANCING FOR EQUIPMENT AND INSTALLATION COSTS AND
(B) I WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED OF WHETHER FINANCING HAS BEEN APPROVED UNTIL THE DATE THE EQUIPMENT IS INSTALLED. UNLESS I AM LATER APPROVED FOR FINANCING FROM ADT, I WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY THE FULL AMOUNT OF THE TOTAL INSTALLATION CHARGE IN A SINGLE INSTALLMENT ON THE DATE THE EQUIPMENT IS INSTALLED.
9. SELF-INSTALLATION. I understand and acknowledge that if the equipment provided under this Contract is intended for self-installation, I agree to follow the step-by-step instructions provided by ADT. Further, I agree that I am ultimately responsible for any installation work I undertake to perform and meet any requirements for such installation. (I) Equipment Warranty. During the first 12 months following the order date, ADT will repair or, at its option, replace any defective part of the equipment at no charge to me using new or refurbished parts of similar features and functionality. This warranty is for equipment and parts only and excludes labor and installation charges. The standard warranty exclusions listed in this Contract will apply to this warranty obligation. I understand that if I require ADT to visit my premises for equipment repairs, troubleshooting services or other support then ADT will charge me its then-current standard travel and labor rates. (II) Assumption of Liability. I ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE INHERENT RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH INSTALLATION OF THE EQUIPMENT, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION INJURIES AND DAMAGE TO PROPERTY RESULTING FROM THE USE OF TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT. ADT SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INJURIES, DAMAGE OR OTHER LOSSES RESULTING FROM THE INSTALLATION OR ACTIVATION OF THE EQUIPMENT PROVIDED UNDER THIS CONTRACT, WHETHER PERFORMED BY ME OR A THIRD-PARTY PROVIDER ENGAGED BY ME. I acknowledge and understand that it is my choice to engage a third-party to install the equipment, that any such third-party is not an employee, subcontractor, or agent of ADT and that any payment obligations to such third-party are my sole responsibility. (IV) Billing. I understand that the equipment cost, any one-time set up fees and other charges, plus applicable tax, will be billed as of the date of this Contract. Further, I understand that billing for my monthly Services will commence on the earlier of (a) the date of my Service activation or (b) the 31st day after the date of this Contract regardless of whether the equipment has been installed or activated. I understand that I may be billed for additional fees (e.g. permitting; verified response) required by law based on the monitoring location I provide upon activation of the equipment. (V) Return Policy. I may cancel this Contract without incurring contract termination charges no later than thirty (30) days after the date of this Contract by calling 1-888-392-2039. If I cancel pursuant to this provision then (i) the equipment cost will be refunded and (ii) the monthly service fee will be refunded only if Service activation has not occurred. Contract termination charges will be applied for cancellation after the initial thirty (30) day period. I understand that any shipping costs previously paid are non-refundable. ADT will issue a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number. I must (i) return the equipment to ADT’s warehouse within twenty-one (21) calendar days of the issue of the RMA and (ii) provide proof of delivery if requested. If I fail to return the equipment in accordance with these terms, I will not receive the equipment cost refund.
10. LIMITED WARRANTY. During the first 90 days after professional installation performed by ADT, ADT will repair or, at its option, replace any defective part of the equipment ADT supplies and installs, including wiring, and will make required mechanical adjustments, all at no charge to me. ADT will use new or refurbished parts for replacements. This limited warranty is for my benefit only and may not be enforced by any other person. This limited warranty gives me specific legal rights. The laws of the state where this Contract was signed may also give me additional rights. To order service, call 800.ADT.ASAP (800.238.2727). This limited warranty, and if purchased, the extended limited warranty, provided below, shall replace any other equipment warranty, including without limitation the manufacturer warranty.
11. EXTENDED LIMITED WARRANTY/QUALITY SERVICE PLAN (QSP). If I purchase ADT's Extended Limited Warranty, which is called the Quality Service Plan or QSP, ADT will repair or, at its option, replace any part of the equipment supplied by ADT that requires repair or replacement due to malfunction, excluding wiring and batteries. During the Extended Limited Warranty period, I will be charged a non-refundable on-site assessment charge in the amount of $59 for each service call booking for an ADT technician to visit my premises for QSP service. On-site assessment charges may vary depending on the geographic location of the premises. ADT has the right to change the QSP on-site assessment charge at any time by posting updated and current on-site assessment rates to www.MyADT.com. It is your responsibility to check this link periodically for changes. ADT will use new or refurbished parts for replacements. If I require services excluded from the QSP (see Paragraph 12 below for exclusions), then ADT will provide the services at its current labor rate for each service call. The QSP and the billing for it will commence on the date the alarm system is installed, operational and communicating with ADT's CMC and will continue for the term of this Contract. The QSP will automatically renew for successive thirty (30)-day terms at ADT's then-current QSP rate unless terminated by either party's written notice at least thirty (30) days before the end of the then-current term. If I purchase the QSP after the initial system installation, the alarm system must be in good working condition at the time I purchase the QSP. To purchase the QSP, call 800.238.7085.
12. WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS. ADT performs warranty services only during normal working hours. If I request ADT to perform warranty services outside normal working hours, I will pay for the services at ADT's then-current rates for labor, parts and equipment. The limited warranty provided under this Contract and, if purchased, the QSP do not apply if ADT determines upon inspection that any of the following conditions caused the need for service: (A) damage resulting from accidents, theft, Acts of God, natural disasters, labor disputes, war, terrorism, civil strife, electrical surge, alterations or misuse; (B) my failure to properly close or secure a door, window or other point protected by an alarm device; (C) my failure to properly follow the operating instructions;
(D) trouble in a telephone line, use of non-traditional telephone line or service (including but not limited to DSL, ADSL, VoIP, digital phone, internet-based phone, cellular, radio, etc.) or due to interruption of power; (E) loss or disruption of Internet connectivity; (F) repairs needed to window foil, security screens, exterior mounted devices (except for outdoor cameras, doorbells and door locks) or PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory); (G) ordinary wear and tear; (H) alterations to my premises or failure of my premises to comply with any applicable codes, regulations or laws; or (I) alterations or damage to the alarm system caused by me or by a cause beyond ADT's control. The limited warranty provided under this Contract and, if purchased, the QSP do not apply to household systems or devices not supplied by ADT but connected to my alarm system for automation, alert or similar purposes, including but not limited to, thermostats, heating/air conditioning systems, lighting systems, doors, locks, garage doors, fans, blinds, shutters or appliances. ADT will not perform warranty services on (i) any device not supplied by ADT even if installed by ADT; (ii) smoke or carbon monoxide detectors that have been installed for longer than five (5) years; or (iii) any part, system or device that has been discontinued or is no longer supported by the device manufacturer. Additionally, I understand that I may be required to purchase new equipment if my installed equipment is, in whole or in part, discontinued or is no longer supported by the device manufacturer and my failure to purchase said new equipment shall not relieve me of my obligation to pay any amounts owed for service hereunder. Battery replacement is excluded from all warranties. THE EQUIPMENT I PURCHASED FROM ADT UNDER THIS CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE MAY NOT BE COMPATIBLE WITH AND MAY NOT OPERATE WITH OTHER THIRD PARTY ALARM OR HOME AUTOMATION SERVICES. The limited warranty and the QSP do not apply to promotional items or gifts.
13. NO OTHER WARRANTIES. OTHER THAN THE LIMITED WARRANTY PROVIDED UNDER THIS CONTRACT AND, IF PURCHASED, THE QSP, I AGREE THAT ADT MAKES NO GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICES ADT PERFORMS OR THE EQUIPMENT IT PROVIDES. MY EXCLUSIVE WARRANTY REMEDY IS SET FORTH IN PARAGRAPHS 10, 11 AND 12 ABOVE. SOME STATES MAY NOT ALLOW THE PARTIES TO A CONTRACT TO LIMIT THE LENGTH OF AN IMPLIED WARRANTY. THE LAWS OF THE STATE WHERE THIS CONTRACT WAS SIGNED WILL DETERMINE WHETHER THESE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS APPLY.
14. ALARM MONITORING AND NOTIFICATION SERVICE. If I purchase service that includes response by police, fire department, guard, medical emergency notification or two-way voice monitoring services and such an alarm is received at ADT's CMC, ADT may, at its sole discretion, attempt to contact me and/ or anyone on my Emergency Contact List to confirm that the alarm is not false. If ADT does not contact me and/or someone on my Emergency Contact List, or if ADT questions the response it receives upon such contact, then (A) ADT will attempt to notify the appropriate police department or fire department or, (B) if guard response service is provided and an alarm requires police response, ADT will attempt to dispatch a representative to make an investigation of the exterior of the premises from his or her vehicle and, upon evidence of a crime, ADT will attempt to notify the appropriate police department. If ADT provides supervisory alarm or trouble alarm monitoring services (or if such services are actively programmed into the alarm system) and ADT's CMC receives an alarm, then ADT may attempt to notify my premises and/or the representative I designate. ADT may use an automated calling device to deliver such notification. If medical emergency notification services are provided, I agree that the very nature of such services, regardless of any delay, involves uncertainty, risk and possible serious injury, disability or death, for which I will not attempt to hold ADT responsible or liable; that the equipment furnished for medical emergency notification services is not foolproof and may experience signal transmission failures or delays for any number of reasons; and that the actual time required for medical emergency providers to arrive at my premises and/or to transport any person requiring medical attention is unpredictable with many contributing factors, including telephone network operation, distance, weather, road and traffic conditions, alarm equipment function and human factors both within and outside of ADT's control. The person(s) identified on my Emergency Contact List are authorized to act on my behalf. Local laws, ordinances or policies may restrict ADT's ability to provide the alarm monitoring and notification services described in this Contract and/or necessitate modified or additional services with additional charges to me. ADT employs a number of industry-recognized measures to help reduce occurrences of false alarms. These measures include, but are not limited to, implementation of default settings on alarm panels and various procedures at ADT's CMC to determine when and how to respond, if at all, to certain alarm events. I consent to ADT's use of these measures and agree that the alarm system has not been designed, programmed or installed pursuant to any law, code or rule that may be applicable to my particular premises, including, but not limited to, any code provisions of the National Fire Protection Association or the International Residential Code. Upon receiving notification that an alarm signal has been received by ADT, the police department, fire department or other responding authority may forcibly enter my premises. ADT will never arrest or detain any person for any reason. If my service includes cameras or equipment with audio recording and/or monitoring, I will comply with all federal, state and local laws governing the placement, presence, operation and use of such equipment, including without limitation privacy, video surveillance, eavesdropping and wiretapping laws and shall fully and conspicuously notify persons in or around the premises or equipment, whether by use of legible signs or other approved communications, that their activities may be recorded. I agree that the equipment installed by ADT, including any outdoor camera, is not to be used to monitor activity in or near any swimming pool or other body of water and that I alone am responsible for supervising the well being of any person in or near any swimming pools or other bodies of water on the premises. Florida law requires alarm verification before ADT can contact a law enforcement agency for alarm dispatch. Customers both using the protected premise to store firearms or ammunition and holding a valid federal firearms license as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of firearms ammunition may opt out of the alarm verification process by contacting ADT at 800.238.2727. If video or audio verification of alarm events at my premises is included with my services or equipment, I agree and understand that ADT and First Responders will access and view images, audio and other data captured by the equipment at my premises and endeavor to use these images and other data to provide visual or audio verification of an alarm event. Further, I understand and acknowledge the inherent limitations associated with visual and audio verification, including without limitation, (i) inadequate illumination of viewing area; (ii) physical obstructions in the field of view of the video camera, (iii) inadequate receipt, clarity, placement or quality of the images and (iv) uncertainty regarding the source of the audio content. ADT does not guarantee that viewing the images or listening to audio captured by the equipment will result in effective verification of events requiring alarm response. I assume full responsibility for: (a) the placement, direction and presence of equipment; (b) transmission, transfer or other use of any images, audio or other data captured by the equipment; (c) the manner of use of the equipment or data captured by the equipment; (d) complying with all applicable laws, rules, regulations and ordinances in connection with the use and operation of the equipment.
15. FAMILIARIZATION PERIOD. UNLESS I HAVE REJECTED THE FAMILIARIZATION PERIOD BY INITIALING THE APPROPRIATE LINE ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS CONTRACT (EXCEPT WHERE FAMILIARIZATION IS REQUIRED BY LAW), I AGREE THAT, DURING A SEVEN (7)-DAY FAMILIARIZATION PERIOD, OR LONGER PERIOD IF REQUIRED BY LAW, THAT FOLLOWS COMPLETION OF THE INSTALLATION AND THE COMMUNICATIONS CONNECTION TO ADT'S CMC (AND DURING ANY APPLICABLE EXTENSIONS), ADT HAS NO OBLIGATION TO, AND WILL NOT, RESPOND TO ANY ALARM SIGNAL FROM MY PREMISES. I ALSO AGREE THAT DURING SUCH PERIOD ADT HAS NO OBLIGATION TO, AND WILL NOT, NOTIFY ANY AUTHORITIES, ME OR MY DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVE OR TAKE ANY OTHER ACTION WITH REGARD TO ANY ALARM SIGNAL ADT RECEIVES, EVEN IF DUE TO AN ACTUAL EMERGENCY.
16. FAILURE TO PAY CHARGES OR HONOR CONTRACT. If I fail to make any payment when due or to honor any other term or condition of this Contract, ADT may terminate this contract and/or stop providing the alarm monitoring and notification services and repossess or disable the equipment without notice. ADT has no liability if it stops providing the alarm monitoring and notification services and repossesses or disables the equipment. If ADT terminates this Contract due to my failure to honor any term of this Contract and ADT has incurred costs before payment in full is received for all Installation Charges, ADT may deduct its costs from any deposit I provide to ADT, in addition to any other legal remedy available. ADT is not required to redecorate or repair my premises as a result of repossessing or disabling the equipment. In addition to these remedies, ADT does not waive, and retains the right to exercise, any other legal remedy, including the right to charge me a late fee for each month that a payment is not received and/or interest on the unpaid amount and the right to report me to one or more consumer reporting agencies if I become delinquent on my account (more than 90 days without a payment).
17. SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS. IF THE ALARM SYSTEM INCLUDES SMOKE AND/OR CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS, I AGREE THAT: (A) THE NUMBER AND PLACEMENT OF SUCH DETECTORS MAY NOT FULFILL THE REQUIREMENTS OR RECOMMENDATIONS IN CODES, LAWS OR STANDARDS THAT APPLY IN MY JURISDICTION, INCLUDING THE CODE PROVISIONS OF THE NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION AND THE INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE; (B) I HAVE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR COMPLYING WITH ANY AND ALL CODES, LAWS AND STANDARDS THAT MAY APPLY TO THE INSTALLATION, PLACEMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF THE ALARM SYSTEM; AND (C) ANY SMOKE AND/OR CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS DESCRIBED IN THIS CONTRACT ARE SUPPLEMENTAL DEVICES ONLY AND ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE PART OF A PRIMARY FIRE ALARM OR CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTION SYSTEM. I understand that ADT's electrical smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, if installed in my premises, are designed to be connected to an electrical power source. THESE DETECTORS WILL NOT OPERATE, THE ALARM WILL NOT SOUND AND THE ALARM SIGNAL WILL NOT BE TRANSMITTED WHEN: THE ELECTRICITY IS CUT OFF; THE BACK-UP BATTERY, IF INCLUDED AS PART OF THE SYSTEM, IS LOW OR DEAD; OR FIRE CUTS OFF THE ELECTRICITY BEFORE THE ALARM IS ACTIVATED, SOUNDS AND IS TRANSMITTED. Connecting these detectors to a separate dedicated electrical circuit may increase their reliability, but even dedicated circuits can fail. I understand that these detectors all have limited useful lives, after which time they will not function. It is my sole responsibility to monitor and replace all detectors before or at the end of their useful lives.
18. BATTERY-POWERED DEVICES; WIRELESS DEVICES. I understand that all battery-powered motion detectors, smoke detectors, door and window contact transmitters and other detection sensors installed under this Contract are not connected to the electrical system of my premises and require batteries to operate. THESE BATTERY-POWERED DETECTION SENSORS WILL NOT OPERATE, AND THE ALARM WILL NOT SOUND, IF THE BATTERIES ARE LOW OR DEAD. It is my sole responsibility to maintain and replace these batteries. ADT recommends that I regularly inspect the sensors for dirt and dust buildup and test the sensors weekly to help maintain continued operation. ADT also recommends that I carefully read and follow the owner's manual, instructions and warnings for all equipment. I understand that wireless devices, including but not limited to wireless motion detectors, door and window contacts, smoke detectors and other wireless devices installed by ADT will not communicate with the alarm system and THE ALARM
SYSTEM WILL NOT FUNCTION IF WIRELESS COMMUNICATION FOR THE DEVICES IS IMPAIRED. THESE WIRELESS DEVICES MAY OR MAY NOT USE ENCRYPTION AND/OR AUTHENTICATION TECHNOLOGY AND ARE VULNERABLE TO INTENTIONAL OR UNITENTIONAL INTERRUPTION,
INTERCEPTION, CORRUPTION AND TAMPERING. It is possible for persons with criminal intent to reduce the effectiveness of my alarm system, including intercepting or hacking the wireless signals of my ADT equipment.
19. ALARM SYSTEM COMMUNICATION. I authorize ADT to request service from a telephone, wireless or other communication carrier under this Contract (referred to as "Telephone Company") to transmit signals between my alarm system and ADT's CMC. The Telephone Company's liability is limited to the same extent as ADT's liability in Paragraph 5 of this Contract. ADT will not receive alarm signals when the communication mode is not operating or has been cut, interfered with or is otherwise damaged, or if the alarm system is unable to acquire, transmit or maintain an alarm signal over my communication mode for any reason. If ADT determines in its sole discretion that my communication mode is or later becomes non-compatible, or if I change to another communication mode that is not compatible, then ADT requires that I use an alternate mode of communication acceptable to ADT as the method to connect the alarm system to ADT's CMC. Transmission of fire alarm signals by means other than a traditional telephone line may not be in compliance with applicable fire alarm or other standards or codes, and it is solely my obligation to comply with such standards and codes. If the alarm system has a line-cut feature, it may not always be able to detect if my communication line is cut or interrupted. ADT recommends that I test the alarm system monthly, even though a successful test of the alarm system does not guarantee that ADT will receive alarm signals from the system in the future. If my service
includes ADT ® interactive solutions and/or automation features, ADT may directly or through third party service providers, transmit, record, store, provide and receive unencrypted data, images, and e-mails and text messages via the Internet in the course providing those interactive services. I will not be able to utilize those automation functions or receive e-mail or text alerts if my Internet connection is impaired, disrupted or unavailable for any reason. ADT does not warrant or guarantee the integrity, accuracy, confidentiality or security of any such transmission or from any unauthorized or unexpected use, disclosure, corruption, interception or other improper act.
A. ADT may, at any time, cancel this Contract at its option if: (1) ADT's CMC is destroyed or damaged so that it is impractical for ADT to continue service;
(2) ADT cannot acquire or retain the transmission connections or authorization to transmit signals between my premises and its CMC or the applicable fire or police department or other agency, or between ADT's CMC and the applicable fire or police department or other agency; (3) I fail to follow ADT's recommendations to repair or replace any defective parts of the system not covered under the Limited Warranty or, if purchased, QSP; (4) I fail to follow ADT's operating instructions for the alarm system; or (5) ADT determines that it is impractical to continue service due to the modification or alteration of my premises after installation. If ADT cancels for any of the reasons stated immediately above, ADT will refund any advance payments made for services to be supplied after the date of such termination, less any amounts still due for the installation of the equipment, for services already rendered and for any other charges due. Additionally, ADT will not assess contract termination charges, if any, as described in Paragraph 2 above.
B. ADT may cancel this Contract upon written notice to me if: (1) I fail to pay any monies when due under this Contract, (2) I change to a telephone/ communications service not suitable for alarm signal transmission or (3) I fail to comply with any other term or condition of this Contract. Upon receipt of written notice from ADT, I will have ten (10) days to correct the deficiency. If I do not correct the deficiency in a timely manner, and ADT does cancel this Contract, ADT may assess contract termination charges, if any, as described in Paragraph 2 above.
21. ASSIGNMENT. I may not assign this Contract without prior written consent from ADT. ADT does have the right to assign this Contract or to subcontract any of its obligations under this Contract without my approval and without notice to me.
22. DELAYS. ADT HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY TO ME OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR DELAYS IN THE INSTALLATION OR REPAIR OF THE SYSTEM, REGARDLESS OF THE REASON. ADT HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR INTERRUPTIONS OF SERVICE OR ANY RESULTING CONSEQUENCES, WHETHER DUE TO STRIKE, RIOT, FLOOD, FIRE, TERRORISM, ACT OF GOD OR ANY OTHER CAUSE WITHIN OR BEYOND ADT'S CONTROL. IF THERE ARE SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS, ADT HAS NO OBLIGATION TO SUPPLY ME WITH SUBSTITUTE SERVICES.
23. PERSONAL INFORMATION. I consent to ADT's use of my personal information and that of third parties provided by me for the purpose of monitoring, setting up and administering my ADT services (including credit approval, invoicing and collecting) and providing information on new equipment or services. I consent to ADT recording my telephone conversations with ADT representatives. I have obtained the consent of the third parties, whose personal information I provided to ADT, to use such personal information for the administration of my account with ADT. ADT may collect, use, disclose and transfer my personal information, and that of third parties provided by me, to ADT's parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and successor corporations, any subcontractor or assignee of this Contract or any applicable authority having jurisdiction that requests such information to administer alarm monitoring services or alarm system license, permit or similar programs.
25. SOFTWARE All software is proprietary to ADT and/or ADT's suppliers and is licensed or sublicensed to me on a non-exclusive basis. I will not (a) disclose the software or any source code for the software to any third parties, (b) duplicate, reproduce, reverse engineer, modify, create derivative works from or copy all or any part of the software, or (c) use the software on equipment other than the equipment covered by this Contract. ADT is not responsible or liable for any damages to or changes in the performance of my computer following installation of any software or provision of services under this Contract. I agree to receive any software updates and upgrades that ADT or its contractors send or remotely download. The equipment or services provided by ADT under this Contract may not operate and ADT may not receive alarm signals during the updating and upgrading process.
26. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Contract constitutes the entire agreement between the parties. I am not relying on ADT's advice or advertisements. ADT is not bound by any representation, promise, condition, inducement or warranty, express or implied, that is not included in writing in this contract. The terms and conditions of this contract apply as written without alteration or qualification, unless a change is approved in writing by an ADT authorized representative. The terms and conditions of this Contract shall control and govern even if there are other documents with inconsistent or additional terms and conditions. If a court determines that any provision of this Contract is invalid or unenforceable, that provision shall be deemed amended and enforced to the maximum extent permitted by law. Each and every other provision of this Contract shall continue to be valid and enforceable.
27. LICENSE INFORMATION: AL Complaints against licensees may be directed to the Alabama Electronic Security Board of Licensure, 7956 Vaughn Rd., Montgomery 36116, (334) 264-9388; AK 37950, 5520 Lake Otis Pkwy., Anchorage, AK 99507; AR CMPY.0002133, Regulated by Arkansas Bd. of Private Investigators & Private Security Agencies, #1 State Police Plaza Dr., Little Rock, AR 72209, (501) 618-8600; AZ ROC 312217; CA ACO7155, Public Works Contractor 1000046587, Alarm Company Operators are licensed and regulated by the Bureau of Security & Investigative Services, Dept. of Consumer Affairs, Sacramento, CA 95814, The ADT Security Corporation PPO120288, (310) 619-2250, 974443; CT ELC.0185782-L5, HIC.0647782; DC DMS902349; FL EF0001121; GA 205326, 205572, 205519, 205939, 205679, 405673, 004349; HI C-32297; ID ELE-SC-2643; IL 124001792; LA F1639, F1654, F1643, F1640; MA 172C; MI 3601207111, 5103229 –1400 E. Avis Dr; Madison Heights, MI 48071; MN TS650251; NC 7535P2, 7561P2, 7561P2M, 7563P7, 7562P10, 7564P4, Alarm Systems Licensing Bd., 4901 Glenwood Ave., Ste 200, Raleigh, NC 27612 (919) 788-5320; NJ Burg & Fire Business Lic. #34BF00048300, 200 East Park, Ste. 200, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054; NM 17-0040; NV 0077105; 1728; NY 12000305615, Licensed by NYS Dept. of State; OH 53-89-1726; 50-18-0018; 50-25-0023; 50-29-0003; 50-31- 0014; 50-48-0008; 50-76-0006; 50-89-0016; 50-89-1285; OK 1995; OR 196560; PA Pennsylvania Home Improvement Contractor Registration Number: PA090797; RI 35683, AF-09040 and BF-09040; TN ACC-1688, 1690, 1691, 1692, 1693, 1694, 1695, 1696; TX B17944 -1817 W. Braker Ln. Ste. 400, Austin 78758; Texas Private Security Bureau, 5805 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin 78752; 0756553,ECR-2186878; HCR-2186886; UT 8289653-6501; VA 11-7348; 11-7345; 11-7354;11-7351;11-7598; 2705147728 Class A Contractor Classification ESC and FAS; WA ADTLLL881DO, 11824 N Creek Pkwy #105, Bothell, WA 98011; WV 049758. MS 15019511