If you don't have a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm in your home, do you need one? If you do have one and your carbon monoxide detector starts beeping, do you know what to do? Would your kids know what to do?
Each year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning. More than 20,000 will visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Fatality is highest among Americans 65 and older. Sadly, the number of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning continues to rise yearly.
Carbon monoxide, also known as the silent killer, is an odorless and colorless gas produced by stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, as well as gas ranges and heating systems. Many people mistake the symptoms of CO poisoning for coming down with the flu.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide include:
It’s safe to say that most people are more familiar with the sound of their smoke detector or fire alarm then with the sound of their carbon monoxide alarm. For this reason it is important to know that when your CO detector goes off it will sound like intermittent beeping.The sound will be much like the one your smoke detector makes when the battery needs to be changed. When this alarm sounds (intermittent beeps) it means this gas has been leaking unbeknownst to you and it has reached a dangerous level.
The first thing –DO NOT ignore the beeping of the alarm.
If you or others in your household are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned previously follow these directions:
If no one is showing signs or symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning follow these directions: