What occurred was entirely unacceptable. It is inconsistent with our values. Our business is built on trust and on the security our customers feel when our systems are installed in their homes. The improper actions of this single technician moved us to quick action to help our customers.
What steps has ADT taken to help prevent this from happening again?
In response to this incident, ADT has implemented corrective steps including:
- Assigning a dedicated team working with impacted customers to ensure they feel fully secure
- Enhancing and continuing to strengthen technical measures to help ensure this does not happen again
- Engaging third-party experts to conduct a review of our processes to help ensure continued customer safety and security
What technical measures have you put in place to prevent this from happening again?
We have put a range of safeguards in place to ensure this kind of incident can never happen again.
- Going forward, ADT Pulse customers will receive an automated email when a new user is added to their account, much like with your bank or credit card.
- All of our ADT service and install visits now end with customers receiving a list of authorized users on their accounts.
- We’re emailing quarterly authorized user reports to all our interactive customers.
- We’re modifying the ADT Pulse platform to disallow this type of improper action.
- We’re implementing a new automated detection process to help identify any abnormal account activity. Our team investigates every suspicious event.
- We’ve also made sure that our sales and technical employees, as well as our authorized dealer network, understand these new procedures.
What have you done to make this right by those impacted?
We personally called all of the 220 Dallas-area customers to apologize and work with them to help make this right.
We’re using all the resources at our disposal to help ensure their safety, provide peace of mind and attempt to address all the concerns they may have.