A robbery prevention strategy can help you and your business reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim. Unlike burglary and theft, which are crimes against property, robbery is a crime against people. Robbery is a crime that puts you, your employees and your customers in physical danger. In the U.S. alone, a commercial robbery is committed every four minutes. That’s more than 100,000 robberies each year.
For your own safety and that of others, do not try to be a hero. Prevention strategies can be great deterrents to criminal behavior.
Follow These Robbery Prevention Tips:
- Place security signs and stickers on points of entry to serve as deterrents to robbery.
- Be sure you have adequate lighting both inside and outside your business.
- Exterior lighting should illuminate dark areas around your building and parking lots.
- Interior lighting should be adequate enough to allow people outside your business to see people inside.
- Install silent alarms to notify police and give them a better chance to catch perpetrators.
- Install some form of cash register protection.
- Install security cameras, which not only serve as a robbery prevention tactic, but help with identifying a robber after the robbery has been committed.
- Utilize a safe with a drop mechanism that allows you to make periodic drops during the day to minimize the amount of cash in your registers.
- Always drop large bills immediately and publicize this to discourage potential robbers.