To set up your smoke alarm, follow these steps:
1. Before you begin, keep in mind that smoke alarms are meant to be installed in areas of the home where the siren can be easily heard. Make sure the smoke alarms are:
- In all living rooms, bedrooms and guest rooms, including all main living areas Within 350 feet of the Hub Within 21 feet of any door to a sleeping room
- On every level of a dwelling, including basements
- Not installed in crawl spaces or unfinished attics • Not near heat sources such as furnaces, hot water heaters, space heaters, or cooking surfaces • Installed at the highest part of each installed room/location
Tip: The suggested height of the mounted device is 12” from the ceiling (if wall mounted) or 12” from a wall (if mounted on the ceiling).
2. Remove all contents from the smoke alarm box.
3. Log into the SmartThings app on your smartphone:
- Make sure your system is disarmed before installing any new device
- Open your app, navigate to the Devices list and select Add Devices
- Tap ADT Security Devices
- Select the ADT device you are trying to add
- Pull the tab on your detector to place your device in pairing mode. The yellow LED light will blink once followed by a single blink of the red LED.
- Use the SmartThings app to scan the QR code on the device and follow the on-screen instructions
4. Before mounting the device, place the QR code somewhere easy accessible for future use.
5. Reference the ADT Smoke Alarm Guide for detailed placement and mounting instructions.
6. Troubleshooting: If the alarm did not pair successfully with the ADT Hub, follow these steps to manually put your device back in pairing mode:
- Remove the alarm from its mounting base.
- Press and release the reset button twice.
- Press and hold the button for 5 seconds until the red LED starts blinking quickly.
7. Test the device: Select Settings on the Home Screen of your Hub Enter your Master Code on your Hub Select Walk Test on your Hub Select Sensors Test Push and hold the Test button on the smoke detector for a minimum of five seconds.
- The alarm will sound, and the red LED light will blink.
- The Hub will display an alert for the smoke alarm.
8. Please note: Your smoke alarm should be cleaned once a year.
- To clean your alarm, remove it from the mounting base.
- You can clean the interior by using compressed air or a vacuum cleaner hose to blow or vacuum through the openings.
9. Here are a few usage tips regarding the LED lights:
- A siren at full volume with red LED flash = Sensing fire
- No siren with red LED flash every 8 seconds = Smoke alarmed hushed
- 1 beep plus yellow LED flash every 48 seconds = Batteries low
- 3 beeps plus yellow LED flash every 48 seconds = Product may have expired