Riding bicycles can be a fun activity, but it’s important to know the bicycle safety risks. Check out these bicycle safety tips from ADT to learn more.
Biking has quickly become the budget and environmentally friendly go-to means of transportation for college students. The National Safety Council estimates that there are about 120 million bikes currently in use in the US. As more and more cities and college campuses become bike-friendly, it’s important that students learn how to stay safe when riding a bicycle. Before you hit the road, read the following bicycle safety tips from ADT and become an expert in bicycle safety.
One of the most important bicycle safety tips for anyone riding a bike is to always follow the rules of the road. This is especially important to bicyclists because you have to be cognizant of not only other cyclists, but motorists as well. Some rules of the road that all bicyclists should follow in order to practice proper bicycle safety include the following:
- Check the weather forecast before riding, and avoid extreme weather conditions when possible.
- Know your neighborhood’s bike-friendly routes.
- Ride with the flow of traffic.
- Use hand signals when turning.
- Ride defensively and stay alert.
- Stay at least a car-door-width away from parked vehicles.
- Thoroughly check your brakes before riding your bike. Keep your hands on the brakes at all times during your ride.
- Utilize lights anytime visibility is poor (nighttime, foggy conditions, in the rain, before sunrise).
- Lock your bike.
- Make eye contact with drivers when possible.
Dress for Success
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of bicycle-related head injuries by 80 percent. Always wear a helmet that properly fits your head to avoid serious injuries.
- Wear bright, bold colored clothing so that you can easily be spotted by motorists. At night, always wear a headlamp and reflective gear.
Protect Your Bike from Theft
Bicycles are a true investment. Protect your bike from theft by registering your bike with The American Center for Bicycle Registration (ACBR). By registering your bike, it can be quickly identified and you can easily prove ownership. It’s important to understand and use these bicycle safety tips whenever riding your bike. Bicycle safety helps prevent injury to yourself and keeps the activity a fun and safe one.
ADT News and Tips
Find helpful information from ADT, the leader in home security.
Find helpful ideas to stay safe in and out of your home.
Health & Senior Safety
Find valuable advice for living safely and independently.